Welcome back to the TheBLAST Podcast.
It's been a while, we know. No excuses, we're back!
We do this to be a blessing to the Body of Christ: disciples, pastors and Christians everywhere; giving you the ammo you need to be a witness and to perhaps to make those long, quiet drives more enjoyable.
In this episode we discuss two very important holidays this time of year: Christmas and Hanukkah
- Why are so many lights connected with Christmas?
- Celebration of the incarnation when a Light of hope entered into the darkness of the fallen world.
- The Festival of Lights
- For most Christians, Hanukkah is a confusing celebration
- A brief history of Hanukkah and the radical resistance that led to the miracle.
More Study on the history of Hanukkah and its connection to the American Revolution:
4. A lot of interesting biblical numerology:
- Date Menorah was lit is 25th day of Kislev on Jewish calendar.
- Kislev falls during the modern calendar month of December.
- Significant because the 25th word in the bible (in Hebrew) is "light."
- The light kept going for 8 days - Jewish baby boys are circumcised on the eight day.
For more on this, check out Rabbi Daniel Lapin's essential podcast:
During the Break
Our break song selection in this episode comes from Lauren Daigle's recent Christmas Album:
Pastor Adam reads a book excerpt from the extremely helpful book: Why Men Hate Going to Church by David Murrow
5. What can we learn by comparing/contrasting Christmas & Hanukkah?
- Both holidays occur during the darkest moment of year (Winter Solstice).
- Bringing light into the darkness
- Darkness is the state of things without God’s intervention
- God is not satisfied to allow darkness to remain, neither should we be.
- God was willing to send Jesus into the world to die so that light would overcome the darkness of sin.
- Wherever darkness remains the enemy has authority and sin is unchecked.
There's a connection here to Star Wars, but we'll save that for a future episode!
6. How does this tie-in to Discipleship and Church Planting?
- Evangelism is bringing light into darkness.
- Jesus said WE are the light of the world.
- Discipleship is bringing the light of truth into the dark places of your soul.
- Submitting your life to the light of a pastor to shine the light of truth into your dark lives.
- Light can be painful, revealing, embarrassing but also cleansing.
- Mark 4:22 "For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light."
- God is invested in keeping the light shining, even when it seems darkest.
- Living in dark times, morals and culture continue to descend into darkness.
- God is invested in keeping the flame burning in us!
Thanks again for listening!
Checklist for our "BLASTers":
- Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- "Binge-listen" to every episode this holiday season!
- Leave us a review on iTunes, Soundcloud, YouTube, or your Podcasting app of choice.