Welcome back to the TheBLAST Podcast.
We do this to be a blessing to the Body of Christ: disciples, pastors and Christians everywhere; giving you the ammo you need to be a witness and perhaps to make those long, quiet drives more enjoyable.
You may have heard people say, "that church is a cult!" But is it? Who or what determines what is or isn't a cult? Tonight we look at the age-old cult accusation, specifically directed at our fellowship, the Christian Fellowship Ministries (CFM).
A little background...
In the 1990’s there was a new wave of accusations against CFM.
Several news reports in AZ cast the Door Christian Center in Chandler in a negative light
When the internet came around, it was an opportunity for cowards to anonymously slander Pastor Mitchell and the fellowship in general
Even Jesus was labeled as a cult
His followers were labeled as such
[Act 24:5 NKJV] 5 "For we have found this man [Paul] a plague, a creator of dissension among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes.
What is a Cult?
a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious
example: a satanic cult
great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)
example: a film that has a cult following.
Definition from From etymonline.com: Cult. An organized group of people, religious or not, with whom you disagree. [Rawson]
This definition is the most relevant one in our time.
Pale of Orthodoxy
The word pale comes from the Latin palus meaning "stake, prop, wooden post,"
Figurative sense of "limit, boundary, restriction"
Essential Christian Doctrine: D-O-C-T-R-I-N-E
Deity of Christ— The biblical witness is clear and convincing that Jesus Christ is the eternal Creator God
Original Sin— Sin is not just murder, rape, or robbery. “Sin” is a word that describes any thought, word, deed, or state of being that fails to meet God’s standard of holiness and perfection.
- Canon— The thirty–nine books of the Hebrew Scriptures along with the twenty–seven books of the Greek New Testament are divine rather than merely human in origin and constitute the entire Christian canon (meaning “standard of measurement”).
- Trinity— Though the word ‘Trinity’ is found nowhere in the Bible, it aptly codifies the essential biblical truths that 1) there is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10); 2) the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God (1 Corinthians 8:6; Hebrews 1:8; Acts 5:3–4); and 3) Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are eternally distinct (Matthew 28:19; John 15:26; 17:1–26).
- Resurrection— All four canonical gospels record the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. The immutable fact of Jesus’ resurrection is the cornerstone of Christian faith, because it not only vindicates Jesus’ claims to deity but also ensures the future bodily resurrection unto eternal life of all who believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior and proclaim him as Lord (1 Corinthians 15; 1 Thessalonians 4:13–18).
- Incarnation— The doctrine of the Incarnation is aptly summed up in the words of the apostle John: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . . And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:1, 14).
- New Creation— The essential doctrine of New Creation is aptly codified in the words of the apostle Paul: “If anyone is in Christ, he is anew creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new” (2 Corinthians 5:17, emphasis added).
Eschatology— The word eschatology is an intimidating word with a simple meaning—the study of end times. While the meaning of eschatology is simple to grasp, its importance is difficult to overemphasize.
Anyone that fully accepts this list is going to Heaven, counted as a brother/sister in Christ. Anyone who doesn’t is going to Hell and can be truly labeled as a cult
During the Break
Speaking of doctrine, here's a great song from Phil Wickham called "Doxology".
During this segment, we closely scrutinize the truth claims made in this YouTube video. Watch for yourself to fully appreciate all the SnowFlakery in all its glory. (Dave's new word)
During the Second Break
Here's an appropriate tune from the glory days of Third Day from the early 00's:
A call to action!
Criticism is cheap, and negativity is easy. Let's do something to combat all the negativity online. Check out this link to record a video of yourself testifying to how much you love your church. We will compile everything we receive into a response video.
Thanks again for listening!
Checklist for our "BLASTers":
- Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- "Binge-listen" to every episode!
- Leave us a review on iTunes, Soundcloud, YouTube, or your Podcasting app of choice.